Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mission Letter of Velda Baird, 1936



Nov. 28, 1936
Dear Folks,
I haven’t forgotten you.  It just seems like I don’t write any letters anymore.
I've certainly had a grand birthday the best one I’ve had in my life, I believe.  Here’s the presents I got.  The Elders up to the office gave me a nice pair of pajamas.  One of them give me a nipple with a rattler on it.  The lady missionaries gave me a nice pair of kid gloves.  Sis Hatch made me an elephant to go on the bed.  It’s sure cute.  The elders that work here gave me a box of candy.  Elder Marler & Durham Sis West and all of em down that way sent me a card.  Each of them signed their names even Pres. & Sis Williams.  There were down there for conference.  The land lady gave me two pretty handkerchiefs.  

Elder Durham, Marler and Sis Hatch thought they’d get a joke on me so they bought one of those cute little cedar chests that sets on your dresser.  Signed Elder Dixons name to it and sent it along with a pair of pants. 

Eva Monroe sent me a dollar.  Aunt Lettie sent me a dollar.  Eunice sent me a card.  Orson sent me a very nice bathrobe and slippers to match.  Its just what I need.  Then the things you and Lila sent.  Gee that blouse is pretty and does it fit good.  I took the skirt up a little on the sides and it fits swell.  I took the dollar that Eva sent me and bought a barrel sweater. 

I put a dollar with that. That Lila sent me and bought me some twin sweaters there sure cute. 

I got a letter from Margene yesterday.  She’s sending me another barrel sweater so I’ve enough skirts and sweaters to last for awhile.  I’m so proud of them. 

They invited me to the office for dinner on my birthday.  That night about 11:00 a phone call came for me.  It was Sis Hatch, Pres Williams and all had just got home.  

Elder Durham and Marler came with them.  I had a turn at talking to them all.  I was so thrilled and happy.  I got back to bed and lay awake a long time thinking of all the friends I’ve made out here and all I have home.  It just seems like I won’t be able to leave them all when another year is up.  As bad as I’d like to see you all I sure hate to come home now. 

The other day we attended a catholic funeral.  Boy it sure makes you appreciate your own church.  The priest got up and yelled prayers in Latin, a woman sang some songs in Latin.  No one could understand a word they were saying.  I imagine it gave the family a lot of consolation.  
Last night we had a cottage meeting and honest the bed bugs are so thick you can see them crawling across the floor. 

First one of us would scratch and then another.  When we came home we picked about five bed bugs off each other. 

Elder Durham and Marler are leaving this morning to go back to there district.  Elder Durham went to meeting with us last night and Elder Marler went to another.  He was to meet us at our apartment afterwards.  It was raining  when we came home Elder Marler was in our place.  We’d just bought some groceries so he had us a meal all fixed.  The door was supposed to be locked so he got the landlady to let him in. 

We went to the mission home for Thanksgiving  We certainly had a good dinner.  There was twenty four of us.  We had a real good time.  We went to a show at night to help celebrate a little. 

My companion is turning out real good. She’s going to make a good missionary.  I guess I kinda had the wrong idea of her at first anyway we get along swell. 
There’s one new one that came from Logan. I didn’t know her before but I know a lot of the same people she knows.  She’s Isabel Dunn.

We’ve certainly had some cold weather lately.  The other night it snowed.  Of couse it didn’t stay but it was kind a cold.  It’s been storming since.  It’s warmed up but still raining. 

How did you like the little magazine of the mission especially the picture on the front.  I tried to get them to send you one with the other picture because it was so terrible of me but they wouldn’t.  Take the picture of the book before you show it to any one. 

Don’t you think that’s a grand talk Apostle Ballard gave? 

That funny on the back of the last page is just how we get it some time, be talking such good Spanish so we think and then they ask us if we can’t talk Spanish that they can’t understand English.

It’s Sat and we’ve got to get our washing done and we have a primary this afternoon and a street meeting at 6:00 and a cottage meeting at 7:00.

Well ans. Me soon.
Tell everyone hello for me.
   Love, Velda

Thanks an awful lot for the Birthday presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment