Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Life History of Delmer Lehi Olson and Velda Baird Olson written by Delmer in 1976



Life History of Delmer Lehi Olson
And Velda Baird Olson
~1976 by Delmer

            I was born April 3, 1913 in the same house that I now own and live in.  Dr. Allen R. Cutler attended my birth.  I was the third son and eighth child for Gustaf E and Elizabeth Marie Peterson Olson.  (One brother died at birth.)

            Our home is located on Station Creek, a tributary to Bear River.  The creek received its name from a rest of supply station used in the early days to feed and change horses for the Franklin, Idaho to Caribou, Montana stage lines.

            My health wasn’t the best.  Perhaps too strenuous activity kept my weight down, for when I was a junior in high school I weighed but 90 pounds and was among the shorter kids in class.  As a senior, I had reached my present height of 6 feet and weighed 145 lobs.  I have averaged 150 lbs. to a maximum of 175 lbs.  throughout my life.

            I used to tag behind my father’s grain binder and was fascinated by the bundles which were mechanically tied by this machine (a marvel for its age).  My mother who was in the hospital much of the time said that was why I was so small.  I thoroughly enjoy the outdoors—climbing hills and watching the natural things about.  I know of no place better than ours to get close to nature.

            My closest neighbor was ½ mile away.  Nephi Hansen was my age, then his father Andrew, married a widow named Emma Coburn.  She had a son, Lorin, who was also my age.  We played stick horses, kick the can, run sheep run, hopscotch, etc.  We dammed small streams and went swimming in the nude.  One time a rattlesnake attacked their dog.  Without fear, Lorin killed the snake.  How well I remember running in the nude through a stubble patch to help him! 

            Later in life, and especially after my marriage, Russell Westerberg and Vernon Westerberg became my closest associates.

            Ours was an LDS home.  We had family prayer and attended all meetings in the small ward of Glencoe.  The Church came first for worship and social life. 

            The farm produced abundantly.  We had grains, hay, cows, beef, hogs and chickens.  Being a farm family, all of us children were expected to and did help in its operation.  In spite of a very good production, we had to skimp—one pair of shoes (cleaned for Sunday), overalls and a shirt for everyday, and knee pants and long socks for Sunday, was all we had.  Money was scarce and a trip to town was a luxury.  I remember very well the Crystal Candy Kitchen in Preston and the time Father bought me a Coney Island, an ice cream dish.  How enticeing were the overhead fans and the general cleanliness of the place on West Oneida.

            We ate the staples of a farm family.  In the days of no refrigeration, they consisted of vegetables and fruit from the garden in summer and dried or canned goods in the winter.  I would help dry fruit—apples, plums, prunes, chokecherries, corn, etc.  This was done on the roof of the old shanty with clean white cloth underneath and mosquito barb as a covering so the flies would not contaminate the produce.

            Everything from a pig was saved but the squeal.  We had home-salted bacon, ham, head cheese, even pickled pigs feet, and cured sausage made with the cleaned intestines as the casings.  In Swedish, it was called “pulse”.  Our potatoes and carrots were pitted in the ground.  Father was careful that we kids didn’t disturb the new fallen snow as that would case the frost to penetrate deeper.

            Fresh meat was always available at harvest time.  Mother (and later, my wife) fed thresher manpower three meals per day.  Meat had to be included in each meal.  During horsepower threshing days until about 1920 there were from 14 to 20 men to be fed at lunch and supper and the skeleton crew of 4 for breakfast.  Junius Larsen, one of the power threshing crew always used to say, “If there is anything better than Velda’s chicken soup, it is more chicken soup.”

            I attended school for 7 years having skipped the seventh grade in Glencoe District 23 located where the Jepsen sawmill now stands.  There were four grades in each of the two frame rooms with windows on two sides and a pot bellied stove in the cornere.  One of these buildings is now the Willow Way Mercantile, the other is the Dayton Country Store.  My teachers were Grace Jepsen, Della Schow, Melba Obray who later became my aunt through marriage, Naomi Forsgren, Wallace Jense, Norm Steele, and Jennie Palmer.  It seems odd to me that my contact with the latter was as an eighth grade student, yet 47 years later, I spoke at her funeral services.  In order to attend high school, we had to rent rooms and “batch it” in Preson.  One year I stayed at my sister Selma Fellows’ place.  Another year I milked cows for Wayne Evans for board and road the Riverdale school bus.  My fourth year, I stayed at Bill and Geneva’s place and rode the Mink Creek school bus which Melvin Seamons Drove.  I graduated for Preston High School in the class of 1933.

            I attended and received instruction in Religion Classes, Seminary, Primary , Sunday School, MIA, Genealogical classes, etc.

            I have always loved sports, even though I excelled in none of them.  I especially enjoy hunting and fishing.  There is no greater thrill than to be on top of some pass in our hills and to hear the crack of a rifle or maybe to see deer and fire the first round.  The hunt is on!

            I was always self-conscious especially where women were concerned.  Of course, I attended the usual social functions but was afraid to get out on the dance floor until Flora Erickson, a young lady older than I, in fact a distant cousin, asked me to be her partner in an MIA contest dance.  I accepted, even practice in the field while I rested the horses.  We took second place in Oneida Stake.  This incident probably did more for me socially than any one incident.  No longer did I feel as a misfit.

            I was called to serve in the Spanish-American mission in March, 1937.  It was there that I met her.  She was among sixteen missionaries of the California and Spanish-American missionaries who met us in Los Angeles.  I was to spend the day there before proceeding to Tucson, Arizona.  We sat together on the bus uptown.  All I remember is that we discussed common acquaintances.  I knew of her because of our mission publication.  Two and a half years later, I met her again in the Persianna Dance Hall at Preston.  She called me one day to say that a common lady friend, Fawn Nebeker, was visiting her.  I responded by calling Noel Condie and we double-dated that evening.  The most I remember is how jealous I was of Noel.  Courtship followed—of course, our common missionary experiences had a lot to do with things.  It was such that I could hardly wait the time it took to get from my house to her house.  We were married July 5, 1940 and her name became Velda Baird Olson.  She has remained sweetheart and wife through sickness and health, harship and sorrow, and produced 4 sons and 2 daughters, all of whom are a credit to society and to the Church.  They get their good looks form her.  Their love of home life, community, church , neighbors, and friends comes from associations in the good community of Glencoe and Mink Creek.

            My children are all different, but devoted to us as parents.  Nathan, the elder is tall, of good physique, very outspoken and not afraid to censor.  He is married to a lovely, talented girl, Patricia Fait.  They are at present on assignment in the US Air Force at Tehran, Iran ahd have a beautiful daughter, Mary LuAnn.  Nate is stalwart in the Church, served a mission to New Zealand, and has held many responsible positions in the Church as they have filled assignments in the Air Force.

            Jimmie D., who is more quiet than Nate, is married to Anna Beth Stocks.  They are now living in a new home build on the ranch.  Their children are Jerald Gustaf, Lydia Ann and Michael Aaron.  Jimmie served a mission to the Western States.  Now in the insurance business, he has held many positions in the Church also.  He is presently serving as president of the 8th Quorum of Seventies and President of the Preston North Stake Mission.

            RaNae, who is dedicated to doing things right, does everything well.  She is married to Dr. Douglas Mellor and at present is living in Sunnyvale, California.  Stalwart in the Church, they are raising a family of four in harmony with the teachings of the Church.  They are:  Jennifer, Pauline, Nathan, and Curtis.

            Jeffrey “E”, who moves so fast, is very neat in everything he does.  Serving in the Cumorah Mission, he was in the pageant twice.  He is married to Jacqueline Davis from Samaria, Idaho, and they have one son, Andrew Lane.  Jeff fulfills all of his assignments well.

            Kevin who is tall looks like his Grandfather Baird.  He resent anything said about anyone unless it is complimentary.  He played center on Preston High’s basketball team and went to the state tournaments.  He has fulfilled a mission to Michigan and Indiana.  With a superior knowledge of the Gospel, he responds well to church callings.  At present, he is handling adversity in health very well.  He is as yet unmarried.

            Millie, a beautiful girl, looks like her mother and my mother.  She is devoted to parents and family and can do anything she sets her mind to.  Married to Ron Mower and living in Pocatello, Idaho they are both active in the church.

            Life would be so much more simple if one didn’t have to eat.  I took over the family farm, purchasing it form Father who lived with us for 13 years.  Cows and chickens provided a good living until 1955.  When raising chickens and selling eggs was no longer profitable, I jobbed at various places until 1961 when I started with Utah Power and Light Co.  I now operate at Oneida Station.

            My church service has been varied.  I have served as Sunday School Sup’t ass’t, MIA assistant, 2nd and 1st Counselors and then Bishop of Glencoe Ward, Stake MIA assistant, Bishop of Mink Creek Ward, High Councilman in the Oneida Stake, Stake Sup’t of MIA and a counselor to Nathaniel Keller in the Mink Creek Bishopric.

            I have known personally many authorities of the Church, including President Heber J. Grant, George Albert Smith, David O. McKay, Harold B. Lee, Joseph F. Merrill, Charles A. Callas, Stephen L. Richards, LeGrand Richards, Elray L. Christiansen, Ezra Taft Benson, and Richard L. Evans.  All measure up and exceed my expectations.

            I have been to the birthplace of the Church in this dispensation.  I have heart two people give testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon because they heard Martin Harris give his last public testimony and deathbed testimony of its truth.

            Soneone said that it is a well-adjusted person who can say, “This is the best time of my life.”  I look forward to the years ahead.  May they be as rewarding as the years past.

           
BRIEF LIFE SKETCH OF VELDA BAIRD OLSON

            Velda Baird was born in Lewiston, Utah, November 23, 1915, the third of six children of Lawrence and Millie Smith Baird.  She lived in Lewiston all her unmarried years with the exception of seven years when as a youong child her family lived in Fairview, Idaho.  The returned to Lewiston in 1925.  She received her education in grade schools in Fairview and Lewiston and graduated from North Cache High School in 1933.

            She served as a missionary in the Spanish-American mission from 1936 to 1938.  On July 5, 1940 she married Delmer Lehi Olson in the Logan Temple.  They have six children:  Nathan “B”, Jimmie Delmer, RaNae O. Mellor, Jeffrey “E”, Charles Kevin, and Millie O. Mower.

            Velda has been active in all church organizations and activities.  She has served as Relief Society President at three different times –once in the Glencoe Ward and twice in the Mink Creek Ward.  She was a counselor in the Oneida Stake Relief Society presidency for five years, served as stake Laurel leader in the APA and held many other offices.  She has supported and sustained her husband in all his church callings such as a member of bishoprics, Bishop, Stake MIA leader, etc.

            Her great loves of this life are the Gospel, her husband, home, children and grandchildren, all of which have been a credit to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment