Wednesday, January 22, 2014

History of Marie Elizabeth Peterson Olson written by daughter Ruby



History of MARIE ELIZABETH PETERSON OLSON
by Ruby Olson Reeder, a daughter

            My mother, Marie Elizabeth Peterson, was born in the far away country of Sweden, the land of the midnight sun.  I used to thrill clear down to my toes when my father Gustaf E. Olson told us about the beautiful country where he and mother were born.  He had a wonderful memory:  he also had the privilege to return to Sweden as a missionary when he was older.
            Marie Elizabeth was the third child of Per Peherson and Christena O.  However, once they arrived in the United States their name were changed to Peter Peterson.  Elizabeth was born on December 22, 1877  (this year she would have been 102 years old)  in Vestra Vingaker Sedermandland, Sweden.  This town is not far from Stockholm Sweden.  She was born the third child in a family of eleven children.  I especially like the story Elaine tells of her conversion to the church.
            Elizabeth was very young when two nice-looking men with black coats and tall hats came to their home in the evenings.  They would drink tall glasses of milk and eat cakes.  They did not notice Elizabeth too much; she was so petite and quiet, but she did hope that they would leave her a piece of cake.  Late at night they would talk and she felt the excitement that her parents were enjoying.  They spoke about America.  She says that it sounded like the Garden of Eden, but they loved their home in Sweden.  The parents were baptized and began to attend services.  They were shunned by their relatives, and Elizabeth was treated badly by her friends.  Grandfather Peterson was the eldest child in his family of four children and the only one to join the church.
            Elizabeth was six years of age when the family immigrated to America.  I have visions of them taking their belongings and waving good-bye to those who cared, thinking they would never see their country  or loved ones again.  They now had four children. 
            In Sweden at that time this family was fairly well off.  In about the year 1938 all the Peterson heirs received a small check they inherited from a relative in Sweden; not too much money but a lot of heirs.
            It depleted their finances to come to America and they indeed suffered from want.  Mother told me many times they had nothing else to eat but bread and molasses.
            The family first found a stopping place in Smithfield and then they moved to Mink Creek, where they lived in a two-room house.  The father and family were very ambitious and had a desire to work.  They were able to build a fine red brick home and planted a fine orchard.  I especially remember a mulberry bush.  They completed the house in 1896, and it is still standing today.  Thirteen years later their father and mother moved to Logan and mother's brothers were married and lived in the home.
            I remember living in the home with my mother.  She took the older ones over there and lived in the winter because it was closer for my older sisters and brother to go to school.
            All of her brothers and sisters have passed away, some of them at a very young age.  My memory of them is that they were humble, proud, honest, hard-working people and born with worry and headaches.  I'm sure that has something to do with our headaches today.
            Mother says it was very hard to adjust to life in America.  Their ways were different and they had to learn a new language.  They only had shoes for winter; they worked hard to pick fruits and berries and also dug sego roots to eat.
            She went to school a few weeks in the winter.  She studied hard and learned English and figures working on a slate.  Mother had a good alto voice and sang duets with her sisters.  She also liked to act and took part in dramatics.  At the age of 17 she and Aunt Tena accepted employment at a Dairy on Graze Lake in Idaho.  She told me they each milked 20 cows twice a day, and helped make cheese in the dairy.  It was reported that the Indians were near so she and Aunt Tena were sent home to avoid the Indians.  For some time she did housework for a family in Salt Lake.  She also had the opportunity to go to a sewing school in Logan.  Mother did sewing for her brothers and sisters and later when she had 6 girls you can imagine her sewing skills improved.
            Mother was fair; not too tall, she had brown hair and rosy cheeks.  I remember even in her coffin her cheeks were rosy.  As she grew older, she had boyfriends call, but she always had her eye on a handsome young man by the name of Gustaf E. Olson.  She had known him all her life.  They had come from the old country at the same time.  He was very bashful.  He says he came into the house backward, but he finally got the courage to call.  I remember father telling us he asked her parents for her hand in marriage.  They were married December 20, 1899 in the Logan Temple.  They traveled by horse and buggy to Logan, and she had a beautiful wedding dress she had made herself.
            Their first home was at the head of Station Creek, a two-room house with a dirt roof.  In this house Elaine and Hilva were born.  In 1902, they moved to another home where Geneva was born.  In 1905 Grandfather and Grandmother moved to Logan Utah.  They then moved into the Olson home.  Soon after Selma was born.  After having 4 girls they were very happy to have a boy, but it came with sadness because he only lived 2 hours.  He was given the name of Rulon and was buried in the Mink Creek cemetery.
            A little over a year later, another son was born.  They named him Gustaf LeGrand.  In the fall of 1909 Gustaf (senior) was called on a mission to Sweden.  Arrangements were made with my mother's brother Enoch to come and live with her and help with the work.  Father's parents were to care and support one child that was to be Geneva.  On the 8th of January, two months later, I was born on a very cold night.  Uncle Enoch was at Mink Creek to a wedding dance, but of course nature takes care of things.  Mother said I was a very good baby.  LeGrande was ill a lot and did a lot of crying.
            In 2 1/2 years my father had finished his mission and returned home.  I was frightened of that handsome man who came to live at our house.  Now it was time for more babies.  First Delmer, then Venice, Merlin, and Stanley.
            As I grew up I can remember our life.  I am sure we were all quite happy.  We traveled three miles to school and I remember bringing friends home to stay the night.
            Hyrum Bell's family lived about a mile away.  They tell the story of how she took care of 7 children while Mable gave birth to another, also Andrew Hansen's wife died and left a young family, which she assisted in caring for.  We always had dinner parties with Uncle Alfred Westerberg, Uncle Charles Bergquist and other neighbors.
            I also remember traveling by horse and buggy to Mink Creek to see Aunt Tena and to Grace to Aunt Esthers.  How frightened mother would be of the narrow roads.
            Mother was active in the ward.  She was Primary President; Relief Society Counselor, secretary, and visiting teacher.  She had to drive six miles to church and lots of times harnesses the horses to drive in buggy or sleigh.  I remember going with her on her district.  It was impressed very strong upon me that she had money for her annual fund and donation for the poor.  I also remember when we saved the Sunday eggs to sell for the Relief Society and she also donated wheat for the church.  The story is, the Relief Society wheat saved the LDS church from going broke.
            My mother was ambitious, and worked hard.  I remember when she encouraged father to get more around us like turkeys, etc.  She helped milk, tend the chickens, and once a week, father would take the cream and eggs to the market and our grocery list would be very small.
            One time when mother was getting a horse loose that had been bound to the tree, the horse jerked the rope and her finger was cut completely off.  She took the finger, placed it in place, had a neighbor take her to the Doctor, and they saved her finger.
            She was a good cook.  I especially remember her apple and lemon pies and her Swedish dumplings.  I can still use her recipes and get compliments.  I don't think any one ever called at the house but what they were offered some food.
            Mother and Father were very smart when they wanted to discuss things we should not hear.  They talked in Swedish.  She would also talk in Swedish over the party line to Aunt Tena.
            My memory goes back to the last years of her life when she was to very ill.  I tried to go to school, but would go home on weekends to help. She was unable to arise from her bed.  I remember lying on her bed visiting with her and her advise was:  If we felt like things were going wrong, to not get upset because things were usually for the best.
            Mother passed away on January 29, 1928 in the Logan Hospital following a major surgery.  Funeral services were held in the Glencoe Meeting House, and she is buried in the Providence cemetery.
            At this time she would be 102.  She gave birth to eleven children and at this time has ___ children and grandchildren.
            And now my testimony is that Marie Elizabeth Peterson Olson was born and accepted the Gospel and lived and suffered for all of us that we might learn and have the opportunity we each have today.  I am sure she knows and is proud of all of you her children and grandchildren.
                                                                                    Her daughter, Ruby O. Reeder. 

1 comment:

  1. I was 9 1/2 years old when Gustaf died, but I do not remember ever meeting him. Surely I did (?). I have memories of visiting Geneva and Bill's first Preston home on West 2nd South (before they moved to the house to the west of it). I must have been 3 or 4 years old at the time of that visit. My memories of the farm begin with Delmer and Velda and the Olson cousins (Nate, Jimmie, RaNae, Jeff, Kevin, Millie)--who am I forgetting? Being at the farm made me proud to be an Olson. I think both my identity and my confidence was strengthened through those visits. I felt I belonged there more than in Albuquerque. I appreciate Geneva's history of Gustaf and the glimpse it gives me of that generation. I am also grateful for Christina's family history diligence. --Terry Olson

    ReplyDelete